Sunday, March 29, 2009

An Odd Reminder

As I mentioned in my last post, I've been really sick (flu) and it has been difficult to get back into the swing. I went for my first run on Tuesday after four days off. It was terrible, I struggled to put one foot in front of the other. Then I spent an hour on a treadmill--a fate worse than death--on Thursday. I was supposed to take a rest day on Friday before a long Team run on Saturday.
But, Friday morning, on my way to work, I received a call that my father was in heart surgery. Needless to say, I was anxious and the day was a harrowing series of calls, news, different news, potential flight plans, details, and worry. Fortunately, the surgery went well and he is safe and sound. There is no major damage to his heart and the doctors are giving him a very good prognosis with a few changes in lifestyle.
By Friday afternoon, I was spent: mentally, emotionally, and physically. But I needed to run, a point that Carolyn impressed on me. I left work a little early. Carolyn joined me and we ran a fun loop with Wyatt leading the way on his bike; Violet and Scarlet rode in the stroller and fought most of the time...ahh the joys of parenthood. At the end of the run, I felt a little better. My head was a little more clear and I was reminded of how much stress relief a good run can bring. Then I went home and slept. I slept long and well, ready to conquer the next hurdle in my training. But that's the next post.

BTW: In case you haven't noticed, I'm nearly half way to my fund raising goal. Is there anyone you know who might be interested in supporting me? Just click on the "DONATE" button on the right. Thanks in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment